Thursday, September 11, 2008

Kern River Fly Fishing


Over Labor Day weekend Joe and I hiked, fished & camped near the Kern River. It was really dry, definitely prime time for fire season! Since Joe is an Eagle Scout he made sure we put our camp fire out completely so we don't start the next one!

Entering the Golden Trout Wilderness, Joe is in Heaven.


The hike wasn't too hard going down except I got major blisters!


and almost fell in the river a few times...

With Joe's guidance I caught the first and biggest fish!


Here's one of Joe's fish. Fish count for the day: Clea 2, Joe 6?

We only had turkey, cheese & bread with us so Joe got creative and "roasted" sandwiches on a stick = turkey grilled cheese! yum! I'm a huge dork now that Joe got me hooked to that head lamp, we even wear them at home sometimes when we have to go outside to get our laundry in the dark, they come in really handy!


The next morning we hiked out of the woods, it was a really hard hike-basically straight up! I had horrible cuts and blisters that day but Joe told me to be tough and we made it out.
Then we stopped at the George H. W. Bush Tree, it was amazing!! It's a Giant Sequoia it's about 23 feet in diameter, 325 feet high (as tall as The Statue of Liberty!) and maybe 3000 years old!! wow!

Tree Hugger!!

Even Joe at 6'3" looks tiny next to the huge tree!







1 comment:

Lilli said...

that is so cute!!! I love it! and that tree is CRAAAAZY HUGE!