Saturday, February 6, 2010

Moving Day

Our drive across Kansas to Colorado was very smooth. My dad was very helpful and drove his van with a U-Haul trailer full of our stuff all the way to Longmont-thanks Papa! Joe and I drove our cars across and thankfully we had nice weather the whole way.
It took about 9 1/2 hours from Paola to Longmont-not bad!
Beautiful Kansas prairie. Maybe not beautiful to everyone but I like it, so much space! ;)

I like the way the sun hits the hay bales

A wind farm off I-70. I like the little black cows in the front. The wind turbines go on for many miles. I googled to find some info on this wind farm. It's called the Smoky Hills Wind Farm and it has about 150 turbines. Some cool facts about the project:

-100 turbines generate enough energy to power 42,000 homes
-100 tower farm with a rated capacity of 100 megawatts running at 30 percent capacity would generate an income in 10 years of approximately $47 million
-The project offsets approximately 450,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year, 1,500 tons of NOx per year, and 2,000 tons of SO2 per year


A storm rolling in fast, luckily we were driving into the clearing.
Welcome to "Colorful Colorado"!
Our first view of the mountains

No comments: