Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fresh Spring Rolls & Tom Kha Soup

One of my favorite things that we had last year on our honeymoon in Thailand was the Tom Kha Goong (coconut milk shrimp soup). I also love fresh spring rolls with peanut sauce, although I was surprised we didn't find them in Thailand--because I love to order them at Thai restaurants here! They are actually Vietnamese Spring Rolls so that explains why we couldn't get them in Thailand.
The other night I attempted to recreate the soup & spring rolls, I think it turned out pretty good, but definitely not exactly like the experts--I can blame it on the fact that I didn't have all of the correct ingredients, like lemongrass, so I improvised with lime juice--it gave it the nice tang that so many Thai dishes have.

We took a cooking class while we were in Thailand that we loved. At that class we made a spicy sour soup (I think it's called Tom Yum Gai) & Pad Thai, it was delicious. We also learned that most Thai dishes have the 3 S's--spicy, salty, sour--that's why it's so good, my favorite flavors!







1 comment:

Lilli said...

yumm!! you should make that when you are back for Christmas!! I love you! Lilli
p.s. I love that you still wear those windbreaker pants! :)